Losing weight after pregnancy may prove difficult. Even though itâ€˜s perfectly normal to put on some weight after pregnancy, many women worry about shedding those unwanted pounds. To do so requires considering some important things first.
You may have been expecting to lose a great deal of weight after the pregnancy and felt utterly let-down when you stepped on to the scales. It isnâ€™t all doom and gloom though; if you havenâ€™t lost a lot of weight since the birth, itâ€™s possibly due to fluid retention. This can be reduced by improving fluid intake and exercising more.
So how do you lose weight after pregnancy? Here are some simple, effective measures you can introduce:
- Try to avoid fast-foods and take-outs. It may be difficult to resist temptation but it is one of the biggest culprits for weight gain. If you do go for it, order a healthier option like salad instead of fries
- Consume lean meats- boneless chicken, leanest cuts of beef etc.
- When you feel up to it, start exercising. Nothing too strenuous of course; start with taking your baby for a gentle stroll, and slowly increase your walking-time by building it up.
- Breastfeeding is an excellent way to burn calories! It uses up your fat stores, burning around 500-550 calories a day, so the more you feed the baby, the more calories youâ€™re burning.
- Drink at least 10 glasses of water everyday, the equivalent of about 1.8 liters of water. This will expel extra body weight from fluid retention and give you radiant skin, as well as keeping you refreshed and energized.
- Eat healthy snacks regularly like fruit, rice cakes and nuts. They will keep you satisfied and are a healthy option between meals.
Bear in mind when losing weight after pregnancy that it took you 9 months to gain the weight and itâ€™s not going to be an overnight process losing it. Better to take a slow, steady route and achieve long-term results rather than â€˜yo-yo dietingâ€™ which will consequently lead to more weight gain.